Corn Soup with Pico de Gallo
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 bacon strip, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- PICO DE GALLO:
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- Rub corn with canola oil; sprinkle with seasonings. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning frequently. Cool slightly; cut corn from cobs and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and bacon for 5 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add corn, milk, chilies, cumin and oregano; heat through. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Combine pico de gallo ingredients. Serve with soup and tortilla strips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 217 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 20, 2014
This is a simple soup that is just so filling. I love the corn flavor it gives, so many corn soups don't really taste like corn. We also like to add shredded chicken or turkey into this from time to time. We also top it off with a dollop of sour cream.
Aug 30, 2013
I used almond milk and it worked beautifully.
Aug 30, 2013
EXCELLENT!!! It is WONDERFUL!
May 2, 2013
VERY GOOD TASTING
Nov 1, 2011
It was very easy to make & the flavor is fantastic. I like the recipe as it stands but one could always add a bit of chicken in this too. It's a keeper!
Sep 4, 2008
This is a very easy to make, delicious soup that contains such a variety of flavors that your taste buds a tripping over each other trying to grab the next taste. Do not skip the Pico de Gallo because it is easy but adds a really nice punch to the dish.