My family really enjoys these hearty scones—they're a nice change from the usual muffins and biscuits. They're nice to have on hand for when unexpected company drops in...which seems to be often!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, mustard and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese, corn and eggs until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface, kneading gently 10-12 times or until dough is no longer sticky. Roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. or 3-in. cutter.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with milk. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 394 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Corn Scones in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook