Corn Salad with Tamale Croutons
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- TAMALE CROUTONS:
- 3 cups frozen corn, divided
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- CHIPOTLE RANCH DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, well drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Place 2 cups corn in food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Add the butter, sugar and salt; cover and process until blended. Stir in masa harina and flour until a soft dough forms; fold in remaining corn. Using wet hands, press dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Score the dough into 1-in. squares. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until golden brown. Immediately cut along the scored lines; cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the corn, tomatoes, onion, jicama, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat; gently stir in avocados. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Jun 18, 2016
the croutons never hardened. They stayed soft and mushy, like the corn tomalito you get at Chevy's in the shape of ice cream. Huge disappointment. I picked this recipe solely for the crouton idea
Aug 31, 2015
This was excellent! I couldn't find Masa Harina anywhere so I used Gluten Free Corn Flour. The croutons turned out great anyway. They were the best part of the salad and I couldn't stop eating them. My jicama was bad so I couldn't use it but I thought the salad tasted fine without. Next time I think I'll add black beans. Everyone loved the salad and it tasted even better the 2nd and 3rd day.
Aug 11, 2015
This looks and sounds awesome, and would be great for a special occasion. There are just a lot of ingredients that I don't always have on hand. I'm still saving this one with intentions of making at a later date. Masa Harina is a corn flour treated with lime juice. The lime juice makes it more digestible.
Aug 11, 2015
Could someone tell me what 'masa harina' is? I have never heard of it. Thanks