Corn Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
The lightly dressed salad and the colorful presentation in the tomato shell make this a great summer side dish that is sure to bring on the raves. The basil flavor is compatible with all the ingredients and the salad is especially tasty with a barbecue entrée.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 large ear sweet corn
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Seed and chop enough of the pulp to equal 1 cup (discard any remaining pulp or save for another use). Place chopped tomato and tomato cups, inverted, on paper towels to drain.
- In a large saucepan, cook corn in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain and immediately place corn in ice water; drain. Cut corn off cob.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn, chopped tomato, onion and basil. In another bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. Pour over corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Spoon into tomato cups.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 84 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Tomato Corn Salad in Reminisce August/September 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.