Corn ‘n’ Broccoli Bake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, broccoli, 1/4 cup of saltines, egg, onion and pepper.
- Place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine butter and remaining saltines; sprinkle on top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
May 23, 2017
I can definitely see why others may not like this side dish. It can get pretty mushy with the crackers, egg, & cream of corn. Since I foresaw that possibly being a problem, I steamed fresh broccoli and made it a bit more on the crunchy (but still done) side. I also didn't use the full amount of broccoli because I had steamed corn on the cob leftover. I cut the corn off of that (2 medium cobs) and put that in the mixture. Let me tell you, that was a GOOD decision. The crunch of the fresh corn made the dish so much better. Instead of saltines, I used club crackers. I think next time, I might cut back on the crackers that go in the mixture. I may actually stick it under the broiler for a few minutes near the end to get that topping extra crispy. I like the other reviewer's suggestion of adding in cheese. We'll try this again, especially since it's so easy to modify.
Mar 30, 2016
My family and I thought this was a very good and tasty vegetable recipe. I especially enjoy the fact that it is so easy to make with lots of spare time to devote to the main dish in a meal while this recipe bakes.
Jan 5, 2012
I've made this since it first appeared in the magazine years ago; this and the Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy has become a go to recipe for supper.
Dec 27, 2010
This was not very good. I think if you used cheese instead of the crackers it would be better.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.