Corn in the Cobbler
Canned goods and cornbread mix combine in this golden brunch bake that even my parents loved. It makes a lot, so I often freeze half.&emdash;Judith Taylor, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) corned beef hash
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dried minced onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine hash, tomato sauce, green pepper, 2 tablespoons onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; set aside. In another bowl, combine the corn bread mix, flour, milk and eggs just until moistened. Add 1 cup cheese and remaining onion.
- Spread batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread hash mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until cornbread layer is golden brown and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Corn in the Cobbler in Quick Cooking March/April 2001