Corn Dog Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 pounds hot dogs
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, saute celery in butter 5 minutes. Add onions; saute 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut hot dogs into 1/2-inch slices. In the same skillet, saute hot dogs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add remaining hot dog mixture. Stir in cornbread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups cheese. Spread into a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 578 calories, 38g fat (16g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1307mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Feb 13, 2020
I’ve been making this for years. I have tweaked it to suit our preference. We add extra cheese, more meat, yellow onion instead of green and depending on what I have on hand, I’ve used anything from good quality hot dogs to spam to kielbasa so it’s a very forgiving recipe. I also bake it anywhere from 5-10 minutes less for a more moist dish. It really doesn’t taste like corn dogs but it’s still delicious how I make it.
Nov 17, 2019
I did not like this. Way too much bread for the other ingredients. I would not make again.
Jun 28, 2019
I didn't enjoy, tasted very much like a thanksgiving stuffing with hot dogs. Probably good if you like stuffing.
Jun 24, 2019
Please do not waste your time
Nov 27, 2016
I don't know what I did wrong, but this was not good. Didn't taste anything like a corn dog. I used Nathan's all beef & what a waste of expensive hot dogs!
Oct 23, 2016
my girls loved this recipe. yummy
Aug 23, 2016
My family loved this recipe. I did use a regular onion, instead of the green onion and 1 cup celery instead of two. Those were my only two changes.I did use good quality hot dogs, but since it didn't specify a brand I don't consider that a change, but I'm sure it helped. :)
Oct 26, 2015
Too dry and flavorless. I made it as directed except for adding a little more milk. It didn't help.
Dec 11, 2014
I've been making this recipe for years! I use less sage and I don't think it matters how you slice the hot dogs. Read my review at my blog - http://frugalfunlife.com/2014/10/05/corn-dog-casserole/My instructions are a little different, but they work for me. Great recipe!
Oct 30, 2014
This was ok. Much better if you put mustard on it! Not our favorite.