- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 pounds hot dogs
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- In a skillet, saute celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions; saute for 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl; set aside. Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, saute the hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Set aside 1 cup. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Add the remaining hot dog mixture. Stir in corn bread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Spread into a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCorn Dog Casserole
"I don't know what I did wrong, but this was not good. Didn't taste anything like a corn dog. I used Nathan's all beef & what a waste of expensive hot dogs!"
"my girls loved this recipe. yummy"
"My family loved this recipe. I did use a regular onion, instead of the green onion and 1 cup celery instead of two. Those were my only two changes.I did use good quality hot dogs, but since it didn't specify a brand I don't consider that a change, but I'm sure it helped. :)"
"Too dry and flavorless. I made it as directed except for adding a little more milk. It didn't help."
"I've been making this recipe for years! I use less sage and I don't think it matters how you slice the hot dogs. Read my review at my blog - http://frugalfunlife.com/2014/10/05/corn-dog-casserole/My instructions are a little different, but they work for me. Great recipe!"
"This was ok. Much better if you put mustard on it! Not our favorite."
"I have been making this recipe for years. It is good made with low fat or turkey hotdogs, skim milk and the 2% cheese. I've gotten lazy over the years and no longer saute the hot dogs to save time!"
"A quick, tasty meal that tastes like a summer street festival on a plate."
"I made this one time and was disgusted with the end results. Sorry to the owner that submitted this no offense meant to you. I had to throw the entire thing out because NOBODY liked this or wanted to eat it. Out of all the years that I've been trying and making new receipes I can't stand to waste food/ingredients but this was one of the very few from T.O.H that was disgusting and a total waste of my money. I'm being kind by rating this 1 star!"
"We thought this was great!"