Corn Cakes with Poached Eggs and Mango Salsa
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 medium mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- CORN CAKES:
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- POACHED EGGS:
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- In a small bowl, combine the mango, salsa, cilantro and onion; set aside.
- Separate two eggs. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the remaining eggs, egg yolks, cream-style corn, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in corn and onions. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. Serve with corn cakes and salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 455 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 392mg cholesterol, 1097mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Corn Cakes with Poached Egg and Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream with Chives or Mango Salsa in Country October/November 2010