- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- CORN BREAD TOPPING:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, corn and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon evenly over bean mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ - 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of corn bread comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCorn Bread-Topped Frijoles
"Yummy and easy to make. The whole family loved it. I suggest adding a 1/2 hour to the cooking time so the cornbread can fully cook. When serving, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Yum!"
"Putting it all together in the slow cooker did not work for me. The cornbread was not close to being done after 2 hrs - I scraped it off and threw it in the oven to finish cooking. All of the bean/tomato sauce seeped into it as well which probably caused it to not cook fully. The meal was salvaged and we did enjoy the flavors. I am trying it again but cooking the beans and cornbread separately."
"I would make this but I would put it in the oven. Go ahead heat the beans ect then pour cornbread over hot mixture, bake for 45 min at 400 or until you are sure it's done."
"I just looked in my crockpot after 2 1/2 hours and the cornbread is not close to being done. I had to take it out because the beans are now burning the bottom of my cooker. I'm putting it in the oven and hoping for the best. It just may be a pizza night though. Just wish I read these reviews before and not after trying to make it."
"This was just okay. I liked the flavor but as someone else said, there is way too much cornbread. I agree the cornbread needs to be halved and maybe even double the bean mixture!! After I put the cornbread on top it only took about 90 minutes to cook, but I think my crockpot cooks a little hot. I'm not sure if I'll make it again."
"This recipe is very filling!"
"I would use black beans instead of kidney beans just because I don't like kidney beans."
"Oddly enough, this recipe turns out so well, it's just plain fun to eat. It's one I'll be making for my husband and I for a long time to come, as he absolutely loves it. My kids aren't so fond of it, but they eat it too."