After seeing a recipe for a slow cooker chicken potpie, I knew I had to try it. I loved the idea of a no-fuss chicken casserole, but wanted a Southwestern taste. I added peppers, spices and a crust that is more like a corn bread topping.—Nicole Filizetti, Grand Marais, Michigan
Featured In: 30 Slow-Cooked Sunday Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. In a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, toss chicken with cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and remaining salt. Stir in milk and remaining oil. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chicken mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Corn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p34
Reviews forCorn Bread-Topped Chicken Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2016
"The family loved it"
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2014
"Yumo! Followed recipe except I baked in oven. Topped it with cheese, sour cream and jalepeno."
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2014
"I have not tried it yet, but looks awsome, I never adjust a recipe till I make it once."