Corn Bread Muffins
Corn Bread Muffins are great with any meal, assures Louise Rowe, who has worked in Piqua, Ohio cafeteria for more than 20 years.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 118 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Corn Bread Muffins in Taste of Home June/July 1997