Corn and Red Pepper Barley Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a saucepan, combine the water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until barley is just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, halve pepper; remove stem and seeds. Broil pepper skin side up 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters and blackens, about 8-10 minutes. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop pepper.
- In a bowl, combine corn, 1/2 cup onions, Parmesan, roasted pepper and barley. In another bowl, combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Pour over barley mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining onions.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 256 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jun 20, 2012
This salad gets hints of sweetness from the fresh sweet corn, and an interesting texture from the barley. I forgot to add the parmesan cheese, and didn't feel like messing with broiling the pepper so I finely diced about 1/4 cup. I'll definitely be making this again, so next time I'll get it all right.