Corn and Red Pepper Barley Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a saucepan, combine the water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until barley is just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, halve pepper; remove stem and seeds. Broil pepper skin side up 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters and blackens, about 8-10 minutes. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop pepper.
- In a bowl, combine corn, 1/2 cup onions, Parmesan, roasted pepper and barley. In another bowl, combine vinegar, water, lemon juice, sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Pour over barley mixture; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining onions.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 256 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2012
This salad gets hints of sweetness from the fresh sweet corn, and an interesting texture from the barley. I forgot to add the parmesan cheese, and didn't feel like messing with broiling the pepper so I finely diced about 1/4 cup. I'll definitely be making this again, so next time I'll get it all right.