Corn and Peppers
Add a little pep to plain corn with this flavorful recipe. It's as colorful as it is fresh tasting.—Carol J. Gaus, Itasca, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place the corn and peppers in a steamer basket over water. Sprinkle with seasonings. Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a serving bowl. Add tomato and parsley; toss gently.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 84 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Corn and Peppers in Country Woman July/August 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.