Corn and Ham Stew
When I was a little girl, my grandmother would use homegrown vegetables to prepare this old-fashioned stew. I was thrilled when she passed the family recipe on to me.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh, canned or frozen corn
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion, green pepper, ham and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain and add to ham mixture. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes and squash are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 429 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Corn and Ham Stew in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.