Corn and Bean Soup
"For lunch or dinner on a chilly day, this fresh-tasting colorful vegetable soup really hits the spot," comments Betty Andrzejewski of Chino, California.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, carrots, celery, potato and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer 5-7 minutes longer or until corn is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 185 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Corn and Bean Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2000
Dec 16, 2014
Bleh! The thyme was very overpowering. My husband who is the least picky eater on the face of the earth didn't even want to finish it, so I heated up an emergency can of soup from the pantry.