Cool Lime Squares
Folks always seem to enjoy this variation on the popular lemon bars. Lime juice adds fresh flavor while nuts add some crunch. They're especially refreshing during the warm summer months.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 13-15 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, lime juice, flour, baking powder, lime zest and food coloring if desired; beat until frothy. Pour over hot crust. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into triangles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 110 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cool Lime Squares in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.