Cool Coffee Gels
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Instant espresso powder and chocolate-covered coffee beans, optional
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in coffee and 1/4 cup sugar. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour into four Irish coffee mugs or 4-oz. custard cups. Cover and refrigerate until set.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with gelatin. Garnish with espresso powder and coffee beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 17mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
May 17, 2014
Love using this recipe for April Fool's Day! These are are super easy to make. My coffee loving friends and family find them fun and enjoyable, once they get that they are jello.
Apr 29, 2013
I've made this several times since discovering the recipe on here, and I've also shared it with many people. I haven't had a bad comment on it yet! The only drawback is for people who can't get past their coffee having a jello texture.I also agree with the other review on here that says it only needs a small bit of whipped cream, if any at all.
May 14, 2012
This is a great recipe! I couldn't keep my kids out of it. Next time I am going to at least double it! I used cool whip instead of whipping cream, it really only needs a little on top if any. This would be fun to experiment with flavors!
May 11, 2012
This is delicious and to make it festive at holiday time, try adding whipped cream with a hint of peppermint extract and then sprinkling with crushied peppermint candy. Delish!
May 28, 2011
Loved it ..super good..thinking about adding a little bit of frangelico or kalhua next time
Mar 7, 2011
I can't wait to try this recipe--my mother made this when I was a little girl. She served it with a tablespoon of half and half poured over the gel.
Feb 23, 2011
I have made this twice already and I just love it! It is so easy and simple!
Feb 8, 2011
This was surprisingly delicious. We drizzled our whipped topping with chocolate syrup and it made it more delicious
Feb 2, 2011
Enjoyed this light dessert. Next time I will use stronger coffee or maybe even chocolate flavored coffee. I sprinkled sweet ground chocolate on top.