- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 miniature pretzels
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, divided
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Brown paste food coloring
- 18 yellow Life Savers
- 10 green Life Savers, crushed
- Decorating gels
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1/2 cup of dough; divide remaining dough into three portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 6-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets.
- For angel heads, roll teaspoonfuls of reserved dough into 18 balls; lightly press onto pointed end of each wedge. Press a pretzel into each side for wings.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For hair, in a small bowl, beat 1/4 cup vanilla frosting and confectioners' sugar until smooth; tint with food coloring. Press dough through a garlic press. Trim strands to desired length; place on heads. For halos, attach yellow Life Savers.
- Frost gowns with remaining frosting; sprinkle with crushed Life Savers. Use decorating gels to add faces. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCookie Angels
"These cookies were a lot of effort, but they wern't good tasting and fell apart. Don't waste your time!"
"dip the pretzels in melted white chocolate for the 'white wings' effect"
"these are fun to make with kids,very hands on."