Cooked Salad Dressing
This was my mother's recipe used for potato salad, green salads and even pasta salad. For some tasty variations, you may add up to 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, honey or garlic to the basic recipe.—Doreen Martin, Kitimat, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Torn mixed salad greens
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Stir in egg until smooth. Gradually add vinegar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with salad greens.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 113 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Salad Dressing in Reminisce September/October 2005