Cook-Off Barbecue Sauce
After looking for the perfect BBQ sauce for 12 years, I tried making my own. After many attempts, I hit on the magic combination. Everyone who's tried it agrees that it's a winner. —Phil Maine, Truckee, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 pepperoncini, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients; heat through. Serve with chicken or pork.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 36 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Cookoff BBQ Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.