VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe unpeeled pears, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 large tart unpeeled apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, pears, cranberries, apple and currants. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until fruit is tender and mixture has thickened.
- Pour hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Yield: 4 half-pints.
Originally published as Winter Fruit Chutney in Country Woman September/October 2002, p31