- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, saute zucchini, onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Vegetarian Chili
"We loved it. So versatile; use alone or with crackers OR add macaroni for a complete dinner. You can even add rice. It made a lot for 2 but we keep eating and enjoying. Nice to have something so good in the fridge to eat."
"Good, but not really very exciting or chili-like. Tastes like veggie stew with chili powder and cumin. My non vegetarian friends all said it was "interesting" which is code for "not good." Also I wasn't sure if I was supposed to drain the stewed tomatoes before adding them? It didn't say to do it, but I'm kind of wishing I did to thicken it a bit. This makes a TON, so I would also halve the recipe next time. Still on the hunt for a good vegan chili recipe that can appease non-vegetarians."
"First time I have made a vegetarian chili and it was AMAZING! I loved it and so did my husband and our new vegetarian foreign exchange student. I made a few adjustments. For the tomatoes I used one diced and one crushed since that is what I had and then added 1 1/2 t. Italian seasoning to it to make up the seasoning. I don't like too hot so I skipped the jalapeno pepper. Other than that I follow the recipe as is. It does make a lot of chili but we look forward to eating it!! :)"
"Really enjoyed this full-flavoured chili! Nice and thick and great with sour cream, cilantro, and cheese on top!"
"My family and I thought this vegetarian chili was out of this world!!! Plan to make it on a regular basis. I may try a version with more jalapenos down the road."
"For anyone who thought it looked too tomato-y, I thought so, too. But don't adjust - once you get everything added and the flavors blended, it's good. I did add less chili and in fact, used chipotle because I like their smoked flavor."
"This was tasty but VERY spicy."
"It was ok nice and spicy but way too tomatoes. Not sure how to change that."
"I love this recipe I make it all the time . I double the Zuchinie . Just before serving I cut up a Avacadoe and add it to my bowl of chili. It the perfect finishing touch! . Try it you will be hooked :-)"
"This was just average at best to me. I followed the recipe exactly, only cutting it in half. It tasted blandish and didnt have enough liquid. I ended up adding a cup of water. By then the texture was way off and even more bland. I really had to doctor this up after that. I have made a lot of vegetarian chilis and was surprised this one just wasnt so flavorful, made as is, as others I have made. I actually like all of the ingredients in it. They just didnt come together so well as a chili."