Contest-Winning Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 6 large sweet potatoes (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.Cut them in half lengthwise; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- 2. Place pulp in a large bowl. Add orange juice. Melt 3 tablespoons butter; add to pulp and beat until smooth. Stuff the potato shells; place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and mace. Cut in remaining butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and heated through.
1 each: 189 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 1, 2018
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! I cut the ingredients back a bit for 2 servings, which worked just fine. The recipe was easy to prepare and something I'll definitely be making again!
Feb 27, 2011
I decided that the brown sugar topping might be a bit of overkill, as I was serving a ham with a brown sugar glaze as well. So I left the topping off and just baked the stuffed sweet potato skins "naked." Very good!