Contest-Winning Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 large sweet potatoes (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes or until tender. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.Cut them in half lengthwise; carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell.
- Place pulp in a large bowl. Add orange juice. Melt 3 tablespoons butter; add to pulp and beat until smooth. Stuff the potato shells; place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and mace. Cut in remaining butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! I cut the ingredients back a bit for 2 servings, which worked just fine. The recipe was easy to prepare and something I'll definitely be making again!
Feb 27, 2011
I decided that the brown sugar topping might be a bit of overkill, as I was serving a ham with a brown sugar glaze as well. So I left the topping off and just baked the stuffed sweet potato skins "naked." Very good!