Contest-Winning Summer Chicken Salad Recipe
I found this recipe many years a go in a church cookbook. It's special enough for a fancy dinner but easy enough to fix for a light lunch. There's a kick to the tangy citrus dressing, which even my picky son enjoys.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CITRUS DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Place chicken in a large skillet; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Drain; cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, combine greens and sliced strawberries; refrigerate.
- 2. In a blender, combine the hulled strawberries, orange juice, oil, lemon juice and lemon peel, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-6 minutes until slightly thickened. Cool slightly.
- 3. Drizzle half of the dressing over greens and berries; toss to coat. Divide among four plates. Cut chicken into 1/8-in. slices; arrange over salads. Drizzle remaining dressing over chicken; sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 202 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Summer Chicken Salad
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC