- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 1 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add egg; mix well. Gradually add dry cake mix and cornflakes. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Carefully spread jam over crust. Sprinkle with reserved dough; gently press down. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forContest-Winning Strawberry Jam Bars
"I made these jam bars yesterday and they are very good. Mine turned out moist, with a bit of crunch in the crumb topping - very nice. The only change I made was that I used frosted flakes instead of regular cornflakes, but that was not much of a difference. These bars are easy to make, and I will be making some for my church's periodic bake sales!"
"My mom used to make something similar when I was a child many years ago. This recipe is better! Thanks for sharing!"
"These bars are delicious! I made them for company and everyone loved them! I love the buttery crust combined with the sweet strawberry filling. I will definitely be making these again! So good!"
"Cornflakes? Kooky, but it works! I used raspberry preserves and it was amazing. I might try some chopped nuts on top next time...but don't omit the cornflakes...they are there for texture and they counterbalance some of the sweetness! These are seriously delish (and my 17 y.o. agrees)!"
"Yummy bars with ingredients easily found in my kitchen. Will make these again!"
"Cornflakes ?? In a jam bar?? Oh yes!! I made these and almost skipped the unusual addition of cornflakes -- glad I didn't make that mistake. To my surprise the slightly crunchy dough was super tasteful. The sticky dough was addicting to taste, just as the great bars themselves. Also, after cooled they cut easily and came out of pan nicely. If not all eaten before going onto serving platter, they look great. I may cut the baking time back about 5 minutes next time. Can't wait to try with different flavor jams."
"Wonderful! And so easy to make!"
"This site wouldn't allow me to give it 5 stars (was already set with 4). I would give it five stars. I have made them many times and they are very popular with my family."
"These are so easy to make, and they're super delicious! It is a great way to use some of the extra homemade jam I've made!"