Contest-Winning Strawberry Chicken Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3/4 cup raspberry vinaigrette
- Place salad greens in a large shallow bowl. In rows, arrange the onion, pineapple, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber and strawberries. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 130 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Apr 30, 2014
This salad is very pretty for presentation purposes; however, plain tasting. When I served it I realized half way through the meal I forgot the cheese. At that point I was forcing myself to eat it. Realized the cheese (I dislike blue cheese so I eat goat cheese with salads) and once I added the goat cheese it made for a better meal. I agree with another reviewer - a buttermilk dressing would have been nice. Or a homemade vinagarette. Additionally, why pre cut ready to eat chicken strips when fresh grilled chicken is so much better!? These seem like strange corners to cut on a somewhat expensive and gourmet-ish type of salad.
Nov 10, 2012
I made individual main dish salads on dinner plates. The only other change I made was to substitute feta for the Bleu cheese. The combination of sweet fruit and salty feta was delicious. I will definitely be making this again.
Jul 21, 2011
This is a very pretty, appetizing-looking salad with a variety of flavors. I used Butterball precooked chicken strips to save time. The plain or honey-roasted ones work best, I think. Also, I used a homemade buttermilk dressing instead of the vinaigrette.