Contest-Winning Raspberry Meringue Pie Recipe
Whether my husband and I are hosting a backyard barbecue or a formal dinner, we love treating guests to this raspberry pie. I transport it to potlucks or family gathering in my extra-deep cake carrier so the meringue stays intact.
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 extra-servings-size graham cracker crust (9 ounces)
- 1-1/8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon cold water, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) raspberry pie filling
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract. Pour hot filling into the crust.
- 2. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water; let stand for 2 minutes. In a saucepan, bring raspberry filling and gelatin mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining water. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time on high until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 4. Pour hot raspberry filling over custard. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 328 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Raspberry Meringue Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC