Contest-Winning Raspberry Chocolate Torte
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 teaspoons raspberry gelatin
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups (12 ounces ) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually beat into the creamed mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Carefully remove waxed paper.
- For glaze, stir water and gelatin until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in jam. Brush evenly over bottom of cake. Trim edges; cut cake widthwise into thirds.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt chips; stir until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped topping until blended; fold in remaining whipped topping (mixture will be thick).
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread with 3/4 cup topping. Repeat layers; top with remaining cake. Frost and decorate with raspberries and remaining topping.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 614 calories, 32g fat (21g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 26, 2012
This is amazing! We make it every year for my husband's birthday at his request!
Feb 8, 2010
I don't know if it's because it was a torte and not necessarily a cake, but it was pretty dry. The melted chocolate chips did not mix completely with the whipped topping. Presentation wise, it looks great with the raspberries but it looked better than it tasted. No one was overly excited about it after trying it.
Jan 25, 2010
MMmmm! Great recipe. I buttered and floured the pan instead of using waxed paper. It came out just fine. I would definitely make this again. Probably soon, since my kids thought this was a great dessert.
Jan 16, 2010
Excellent recipe and well recieved. At our Christmas dinner at church everyone wanted the recipe and now the church wants to make it for our Valentines dinner so everyone can get a slice.