Lots of sliced almonds and poppy seeds add crunch to this light and tender lemon bread. At our house, eating the scrumptious loaf just isn't the same without the accompanying citrus-and-cheese spread.
Recommended: 75 Farmhouse-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup warm lemon yogurt (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- LEMON CHEESE SPREAD:
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- In bread machine pan, place the first 12 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five spread ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat; cool.
- In a small bowl, beat lemon peel and cream cheese. Beat in egg mixture. Serve with bread. Refrigerate any leftover spread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices) and 1 cup spread.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Yeast Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2004, p31