Contest-Winning Pepper Jack Mac Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar French-fried onions, crushed
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and Worcestershire sauce until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir macaroni into cheese mixture.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, bacon, Parmesan cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 859 calories, 64g fat (37g saturated fat), 191mg cholesterol, 1127mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Pepper Jack Mac
"I made this for Easter and it was a hit! Awesome!"
"Yes, yes, and yes. Best Mac and Cheese ever. Adults were seriously giddy when I brought this out at the potluck, and completely devoured a double batch within minutes. So good. I'll increase the noodles next time, maybe double."
"This recipe is great. I made it for a work luncheon and EVERY person requested the recipe"
"We loved this recipe! Like another stated, you could easily cut the cheese in half! This recipe does make a lot!!"
"Best Mac 'N Cheese ever, although you can easily cut the pepper jack and cream cheese by half and not miss it."
"Question. Has anyone frozen this recipe prior to baking?"
"Deliciously sinful. My family and I LOVE this recipe!!! It's my go to recipe for special gatherings. The best mac and cheese that I've every had."
"My all time favorite mac and cheese. I look forward to this at the beginning of each fall."
"This mac and cheese was very good, much different than normal mac. My husband, who is not a big cheese fan, actually loves it. We only made 1/2 the recipe and it was more than enough for 4. It was a bit pricey to make due to the different specialty cheeses it used."