- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cheddar French-fried onions, crushed
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and Worcestershire sauce until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir macaroni into cheese mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, bacon, Parmesan cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Pepper Jack Mac
"I would rate this a 4, my husband a 5. I thought this was pretty yummy, but when making the cheese sauce, I found it to be way too thick. I had to add in more whole milk to make it thinner (maybe about 1/4C). I'm afraid that may have altered the taste just a bit. I used Monterey Jack instead of Pepper Jack (I didn't want it to be spicy at all). I also used mild cheddar cheese instead of sharp (just what I already had). The topping really accented the dish well. I'd make this again, but try not to cook the flour and milk/cream mixture so it doesn't get too thick. Maybe add in extra cream."
"I made this for Easter and it was a hit! Awesome!"
"Yes, yes, and yes. Best Mac and Cheese ever. Adults were seriously giddy when I brought this out at the potluck, and completely devoured a double batch within minutes. So good. I'll increase the noodles next time, maybe double."
"This recipe is great. I made it for a work luncheon and EVERY person requested the recipe"
"We loved this recipe! Like another stated, you could easily cut the cheese in half! This recipe does make a lot!!"
"Best Mac 'N Cheese ever, although you can easily cut the pepper jack and cream cheese by half and not miss it."
"Question. Has anyone frozen this recipe prior to baking?"
"Deliciously sinful. My family and I LOVE this recipe!!! It's my go to recipe for special gatherings. The best mac and cheese that I've every had."
"My all time favorite mac and cheese. I look forward to this at the beginning of each fall."