- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- PEANUT TOPPING:
- 1 package (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, water, butter and egg until blended (batter will be thick). Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with marshmallows. Bake 2 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack while preparing topping.
- In a large saucepan, combine the peanut butter chips, corn syrup and butter; cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla, cereal and peanuts. Spread over marshmallows. Cool completely. Cut with a sharp knife. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forContest-Winning Peanut Mallow Bars
"Love these bars! Entered them in the fair but judge evidently didn't like them. No win."
"These bars have a great unique taste. My family loved them and I loved the gooey marshmallow middle. I have to agree with one of the other reviews about the taste being a bit bland. Maybe I will make them with butterscotch chips next time for a more carmel-ly taste. They're interesting enough that I will try these again."
"I liked the texture of this cookie, but my husband and I thought the taste was okay but not great. I've had other imitation Payday bars that had much more caramel flavor. These were just a bit bland."
"This recipe could be great, but my first batch didn't turn out well. Don't bake the cake bottom too long. Mine ended up burning and I only had it in the oven for 20 min. Also don't use too many marshmallows, bars end up too gooey. Maybe add a little chocolate butter drizzle on top. Will make again, but more carefully next time"
"I too have been making this bar for years. I only make it when I can take it with me to share because it is too dangerous for me to have in the house. :-) And...each and every time, I am asked for there cipe."
"Different but really good. Very interesting texture: crunchy and soft at the same time."
"My family absolutely loved these bars. They were easy and different. Highly recommend."
"Someone at work brought a similar dessert to work, I searched my books and found this recipe. I made it for family and friends at Christmas and it was a HUGE hit. I made sooooo many batches of this stuff in the last few weeks. I could do the recipe in my head now.It is even popular with people that don't like marshmallows! Yummy, thank you!"