- 4 Cornish game hen (22 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine,sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Spoon over hens. Bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Orange-Glazed Cornish Hens
"Huh. I made these last night before I saw this recipe. Funny, but my recipe (which I thought I was so clever in creating) is very close to this one. I didn't melt the butter, though. I mashed up room-softened butter with orange juice, sherry, a teeny bit of tarragon, and salt & pepper, then spread the paste over the birds. I then sprinkled a bit of brown sugar over them (for browning and carmelization) before putting them in the oven. They were delicious. But I will try this recipe next time, to the letter, to see which my family prefers."
"It was good, We ate 1/2 hen (like said above) and we were full, We ate with baked potato, green beans and whole grain roll..."
"The serving size indicates 'half' yet 4 hens serve 4 people. Can I presume that 682 calories is a whole hen each?"
"These are just incredible! The pan drippings make a nice dipping sauce for fries!"