Contest-Winning Orange Blueberry Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine oats and orange juice. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Combine the oil, eggs and oat mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and orange zest.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 304 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 10, 2015
We loved this recipe! The oats really add a lot of body to the muffins! And the citrus really brightens it up !
Jul 8, 2011
My whole family loved these! They were very flavorful and moist. I used 1/2 the orange juice called for (only had 1 orange) and used buttermilk for the rest of the liquid. They were perfect.
Jul 15, 2008
The only thing I could recommend after looking at the recipe which certainly contains enough orange zest and juice would be to add some vanilla extract. I think this adds to most any baking recipe. I guess another extract could also be used, e.g. lemon, etc., depending on your taste buds.
Jul 14, 2008
Made these muffins this morning; they need something (perhaps more orange peel?) to inhance the taste. They are so bland. Anyone else feel this way?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.