Contest-Winning Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, lemon juice, egg yolks, lemon peel and poppy seeds; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 5. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/3 cup lemon curd. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining lemon curd over top of cake within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 3 cups whipped cream mixture. Pipe remaining mixture around edges. Yield: 12 servings.
To Make Ahead: The cake layers can be made the day before serving. Store in resealable plastic bags at room temperature. Editor's Note: We recommend using a Duncan Hines 18-1/4 ounce cake mix for this recipe.
1 slice: 502 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.