Contest-Winning Hazelnut Toffee Recipe
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; coat the foil with cooking spray and set aside. Butter the sides of a large heavy saucepan with 2 teaspoons butter. Cube remaining butter; place in pan. Add the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir until mixture turns golden brown and a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in hazelnuts. Pour into prepared pan without scraping; spread evenly. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Let stand for 1 hour. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
1 piece: 197 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Hazelnut Toffee
"I've make this toffee every Christmas. It's by far the most requested candy I make!"
"I did not grease my pan first, so this came out hard as a rock. My friend gave me a very similar recipe (without the hazelnuts and corn syrup), so I have no doubt this is very good. Tomorrow, when I go to the store and buy more butter, I'm going to try this again. I could not find my friend's recipe, so this was a great alternative. Again, my fault for not greasing the pan and I'm sure it is a great recipe. Thank you! I plan on making it for Christmas gifts."
"recipe is typed incorrectly it should read as:In a microwave-safe bowl, melt thechocolate chips. Spread evenly over toffee. Sprinkle with hazelnuts, pressing down gently. Let stand for 1 hour. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in the refrigerator."