- 1 package (13-1/4 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, olives, onion, green pepper, basil and oregano.
Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Greek Pasta Bake
"I have served this recipe to perhaps a few thousand over the years- It is always a hit. Once you try the original, you will know how to substitute ingredients- The flavors are [email protected]"
"Not great. Needs to be more saucy & cheesy"
"I really liked this recipe. It was quick and easy to make. I'm a vegetarian so I cut out the chicken and I hate olives so I left those out also. I added more cheese too :) I think next time I may try it with some beans in place of the chicken. I liked the texture of the onion and pepper in the casserole too."
"i made the following changes:::i used fresh spinach instead of frozen. boil it for 1-2 min.i used regualr penne instead of wheat.i also used regular onion and a bell pepper, i cooked them along with the chicken.it turned out great and my family loved it!!"
"Didn't like the spinach in the recipe or the cheese on top."
"I made this recipe for my family tonight and we didn't like it. It just seemed blah. It just wasn't a hit. We like all the ingredients, but it was missing something. Seemed so bland."
"I added more cheese because all of the guys in the house love cheese but otherwise very tasty and disappeared quickly. Also, I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs to add more moisture."
"This recipe is delicious and very easy to make. The portion size is pretty big, so it's very filling. I used more green pepper because 2 Tbsp seemed like a rather small amount. The feta cheese gives it a nice zippy flavor, and I love the olives. You can't go wrong with this one!"