Many people have told me this is the best potato salad they have ever tasted! This recipe really represents the Midwest to me, because when our summers begin, no outdoor get-together is complete unless it includes potato salad.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 pounds salad potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 12 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- Leaf lettuce
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, radishes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. In another large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugars, vanilla and mustard. Stir in milk. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat. Chill overnight.
- Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Yield: 6 quarts.
Originally published as Grandma's Potato Salad in Country April/May 1991, p47