Contest-Winning Fresh Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- in large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt, curry and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Combine flour and remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 57 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Sep 25, 2010
I would cut back on the celery and add a little fresh basil.
Sep 22, 2009
luv this soup! luv the smell of the house when i make it - reminds me of when my mom cans tomatoes in the Fall. i like throwing in some fresh or canned corn too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.