- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- in large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt, curry and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Combine flour and remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews forContest-Winning Fresh Tomato Soup
"I would cut back on the celery and add a little fresh basil."
"luv this soup! luv the smell of the house when i make it - reminds me of when my mom cans tomatoes in the Fall. i like throwing in some fresh or canned corn too."