- 1 cup (2 stalks) chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4-1/2 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Saute celery, onion, carrot and green pepper in butter in large heavy pan. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, curry powder, salt, pepper and sugar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Blend flour with remaining 1/2 cup broth. Stir gradually into soup. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Serve hot. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews forContest-Winning Fresh Tomato Soup
"I would cut back on the celery and add a little fresh basil."
"luv this soup! luv the smell of the house when i make it - reminds me of when my mom cans tomatoes in the Fall. i like throwing in some fresh or canned corn too."