- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- For dressing, place first five ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Add poppy seeds; pulse just until combined.
- To serve, place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Festive Tossed Salad
"This salad is a favorite at in our holiday menus. Goes as well with roasted meats as it does summer grilled entrees. we enjoy the tang of the dried cranberries, and the nuts give a nice crunch. I often substitute slivered almonds or chopped pecans."
"I have made this salad recipe many times, it's one of my standby recipes. It's colorful, light, tasty and compliments just about any meal. The cashews top it off! I will continue recommending it."
"This was a hit with a huge crowd."
"I decreased the sugar to about 2 tablespoons. I omitted the cheese and the poppyseeds. Still pretty good and better for you. I would not recommend decreasing the salt. I think it would have been amazing with candied pecans!"
"I made this for Thanksgiving dinner since my only job was to bring the salad. The vinagrette was really good, it smelled a little odd at first (most do I think) but I taste-tested it on a small portion of salad and it was really good! Don't be afraid to make big chunks of apple and pear either - I will make bigger chunks next time I make this. This salad is definetly for the occasion but you are able to make twice as much vinagrette then you will probably need so you can refrigerate for later on. People really liked this and commented on how good and different it was - even someone who doesn't like vinagrettes said it was very sweet and really liked it !"
"A must at our Thanksgiving table! The perfect blend of sweet and salty. Just delicious!"