Contest-Winning Curried Chicken Turnovers
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and carrot in butter for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry powder and salt until blended. Add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, sour cream and yogurt.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. With a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles from each rectangle. Place 2 teaspoons chicken mixture on one side of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 400° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 132 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 4, 2014
This recipe should read 2 TABLESPOONS of filling per circle. I used 2 teaspoons for the first dozen and had way too much filling leftover for the second dozen. The ingredients add up to 3 cups of filling, which is 48 tablespoons.Other than the typo, my husband and I really enjoyed these. He burned his tongue because he was so excited to eat them he didn't wait for them to cool a bit.