Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"Delicious! I doubled the sauce and served the chicken with some rice pilaf and asparagus. For those saying it's bland, I just cannot imagine that - this sauce had so much flavor! Perfect as is, I can definitely see why this recipe is a contest winner."
"A very nice recipe. Creamy and mild, it would be a good platform to build from, adding garlic, or fresh garden herbs, for instance. I found the sauce a bit thick, so I added a bit more milk -- next time I'll use just one teaspoon of starch."
"This recipe is definitely restaurant quality in deliciousness! It's very easy to prep and cook. I had very thick boneless chicken breast that were difficult to pound out thinner so I halved them horizontally first then pounded them to the required thickness. The sauce is very tasty ( used white vermouth because I had no sherry), but I agree with others; next time I will double it! Enjoyed multi-grain rice and steamed broccoli with this dish. This recipe is now in my "keeper" file!!!"
"Delicious, but wish I had read the comments first, because it definitely needs double the sauce for 4 breasts if you serve it with rice , etc. Very easy and tasty."
"I loved this recipe!! Didn't make enough sauce though; will need to double if making more than two breasts."
"Delicious. Sauce for four chicken breasts is really sauce for two. I added one clove minced garlic. Next time we'll try adding lemon and capers"
"My husband and i both loved it. I did add a few cloves of garlic as we are garlic lovers, but this recipe will definitely be on our regular rotation. easy to make, low calorie, and delicious!"