Contest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mix cornstarch and milk until smooth. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in sherry, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"A very nice recipe. Creamy and mild, it would be a good platform to build from, adding garlic, or fresh garden herbs, for instance. I found the sauce a bit thick, so I added a bit more milk -- next time I'll use just one teaspoon of starch."
"This recipe is definitely restaurant quality in deliciousness! It's very easy to prep and cook. I had very thick boneless chicken breast that were difficult to pound out thinner so I halved them horizontally first then pounded them to the required thickness. The sauce is very tasty ( used white vermouth because I had no sherry), but I agree with others; next time I will double it! Enjoyed multi-grain rice and steamed broccoli with this dish. This recipe is now in my "keeper" file!!!"
"Delicious, but wish I had read the comments first, because it definitely needs double the sauce for 4 breasts if you serve it with rice , etc. Very easy and tasty."
"I loved this recipe!! Didn't make enough sauce though; will need to double if making more than two breasts."
"Delicious. Sauce for four chicken breasts is really sauce for two. I added one clove minced garlic. Next time we'll try adding lemon and capers"
"My husband and i both loved it. I did add a few cloves of garlic as we are garlic lovers, but this recipe will definitely be on our regular rotation. easy to make, low calorie, and delicious!"
"Yummy and easy and low cal. No wonder it was a winner in the contesr. It is a winner. I did not use the sherry. That is too strong a flavor to me."
"Delicious--mushrooms were on sale at my local grocery store, so I gave this recipe a try. We loved it and I think I will double the sauce next time as it was delicious on the mashed potatoes I served along with the chicken. I didn't flatten my chicken breasts quite enough, so I'll do a better job on that next time. They were still good, just took longer for them to cook all the way through."