- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, or 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken, seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms and wine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken with sauce over pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Chicken Cacciatore
"This sounded good. Different from the one I use (got it from an Italian family). Sooo disappointed. Too watery, even for a marina sauce. I even added some thickener - no luck. Will go back to my other recipe."
"Ahh, I'm seeing the problem here. Too much liquid in a crock pot that can't boil off. Eliminate the tomato sauce and use tomato paste."
"I followed this recipe exactly as stated. It was tasteless. I was excited to try this "contest winning" recipe as it has all the ingredients that we love, but was very disappointed. It would be an easy fix I suppose, adding more amounts of these seasonings, possibly adding chicken stock or chili powder. Don't think its worth it though."
"I thought this recipe sounded good. I had all the ingredients on hand so loaded the crock-pot. We thought this had good flavor. Of course the chicken dark meat was much more flavorful than the white meat. My only complaints are too much sauce for the amount of chicken AND the sauce was very thin and watery. Next time I make this I'll thicken the sauce at the end of cooking."
"We've fixed this many times and the flavors really come together here!!"
"Found this recipe bland with a watery sauce. Will not use it again"
"We did use Rotel tomatoes with chilies and added sliced carrots too."
"Being that I never plan early in the morning for me to use a crock pot, I decided to make this recipe this afternoon anyway. I browned boneless chicken breast in my braiser. Added the onions and garlic till soften. Then added all the rest of the ingredients. Simmered the whole thing for about an hour. Removed the chicken and tossed in cooked angel hair pasta and tossed it all together. Put the chicken back on top and took the whole pan to the table. You would of thought I was chef Mario. Raves from everyone. They just loved it. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT RECIPE. They are already asking for it again. Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did."
"Super easy and delicious!"
"Glad I read the reviews and added more spices to give it more flavor. It was OK, probably won't make it again."