Contest-Winning Cheesy Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds) , peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash potatoes. Stir in the onion dip, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 271 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jun 13, 2011
Oh, this recipe is a keeper! Be warned, it makes a lot and if you don't have many hungry mouths you will probably be throwing away some leftovers. I tried the bacon-on-top option with the green onions, and I put the cheese on last 5 minutes of cooking. Delicious! Great for a potluck, they will eat it all up for you.
Mar 23, 2011
I've made a lot of potato casseroles and this one is definitely a winner. The cottage cheese sort of melts as you bite into it and it's just delicious. My family has now requested this recipe several times. For a change I've added a sprinkle of green onions and cooked, chopped bacon on top - adds to the flavor and also looks pretty.
Apr 29, 2010
very good! But I wouldn't put the cheddar cheese on until you take it out of the oven. Otherwise cheese gets hard an rubbery.
Aug 6, 2008
Don added turnip VERY GOOD