Contest-Winning Cheesy Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds) , peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash potatoes. Stir in the onion dip, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 271 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 13, 2011
Oh, this recipe is a keeper! Be warned, it makes a lot and if you don't have many hungry mouths you will probably be throwing away some leftovers. I tried the bacon-on-top option with the green onions, and I put the cheese on last 5 minutes of cooking. Delicious! Great for a potluck, they will eat it all up for you.
Mar 23, 2011
I've made a lot of potato casseroles and this one is definitely a winner. The cottage cheese sort of melts as you bite into it and it's just delicious. My family has now requested this recipe several times. For a change I've added a sprinkle of green onions and cooked, chopped bacon on top - adds to the flavor and also looks pretty.
Apr 29, 2010
very good! But I wouldn't put the cheddar cheese on until you take it out of the oven. Otherwise cheese gets hard an rubbery.
Aug 6, 2008
Don added turnip VERY GOOD