- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk* (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add buttermilk, oil and sugar. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Do not knead. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; punch down. Shape into 24 balls and place in two greased 9-in. square baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forContest-Winning Buttermilk Pan Rolls
"This was an easy enough recipe, quick to the table and no knead. The taste was good but the texture was not really bread like. I followed the recipe exact but the texture was more on the cornbread side, not grainy the cornbread but texture wise, large air bubble holes. I will probably make this again if I need rolls quickly, but I may make changes in the meantime."
"this was excellent espically with butter. i put it on the table, and with in a blink of an eye it was all gone"