Contest-Winning Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake Recipe
Brown sugar makes this moist, tender angel food cake delicious and different. Chunks of chopped toffee give its fluffy frosting some snap. The cake’s lovely with a hot cup of coffee.
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1 cup brown sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 5. For toffee, line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter. Sprinkle pecans into prepared pan; set aside.
- 6. In a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring brown sugar and remaining butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Cook and stir with a clean spoon until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Immediately pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with chips; spread with a knife when melted. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until set.
- 7. Frost cake with whipped topping. Finely chop half of the toffee; press onto cake. Serve with remaining toffee if desired. Store leftover toffee in an airtight container. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 349 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC