Contest-Winning Broccoli with Orange Sauce
A citrus yogurt sauce drapes crisp-tender broccoli flowerets and refreshing orange slices in this dish. —Doris Heath, Franklin, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup canned mandarin oranges
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Place broccoli in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in orange juice. Add the orange zest, mandarin oranges and tarragon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in yogurt.
- Drain broccoli; serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 100 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Happy Thanksgiving Broccoli with Orange Sauce in Country February/March 2009